If you are considering selling your home, there are a few things that you should know when it comes to staging your home. Implementing minor details throughout your home will help raise the value of your home while also appealing to more home buyers.
Tiny Touches in the Kitchen
Many potential buyers will look at the kitchen as a deciding factor for whether or not to purchase. The kitchen is the heart of the home, it is important to treat it as so. Don’t forget the small important details when preparing to show your house.
- Swap out old dishcloths for a fresh set
- Replace any outlet and light switch covers that are stained or cracked
- Empty and clean the trash cans inside and out – not just wiped
Upgrade Your Bathroom
Nothing will put off a buyer faster than a gross or old bathroom. Cracked tiles or old toilets can all impact how a home buyer will view your home. When you are staging your home, consider these critical tips for your bathroom.
- Replace an old toilet seat and a toilet seat cover with a new one
- Apply the frosted film to windows that need privacy. It can hide a bad view and also allows natural light to brighten the bathroom, making the room look larger.
- Replace any bathroom tiles that may be damaged
No Lingering Odors or Stains
Having odors or stains from things like mildew, smoke, or pets is a big no-no. Eliminate any odors or stains before applying a light home fragrance. Some artificial scents cause allergic reactions, so only use a natural scent, like cinnamon sticks. Follow these tips when to improve the presence of any lingering odors or stains:
- If the sink drains have a funky odor, use a solution of baking soda and vinegar to clean them and clear any unnecessary clogs
- Steam-clean carpets and draperies to remove any odors
- Animals are off-putting to some buyers, so vacuum pet hair off the furniture, and check to make sure there aren’t any unpleasant surprises left in the yard or litter box
Lux Bedrooms and Closets
These rooms should look like a spa or hotel with no personal items on display. It won’t be too cozy for you as the current resider in the home, but it should appear as a clean hotel room or Ikea display. Follow these suggestions when staging your home:
- The master bedroom duvet and pillow set should be gender-neutral
- In closets, a beautiful set of wooden hangers is ideal – at the very least, make sure the hangers match
- Remove game consoles, televisions, and other electronics from sleeping areas
- Remove any personal items such as framed photos, medicine, etc.